Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Daniel Abel is Daniel Orville? an example of deciphering no-name census forms



This is an example of what to do when you are working with old census data that does not list first names of family members.

I think I found Daniel Abel on the 1830 census. He purchased land from his father-in-law in 1826 in Georges Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. In 1830 there is a man named Daniel Orville in the Georges census. I don't think there ever was a man named Daniel Orville in Fayette County, I will be looking into that but I have looked at the handwriting and it could be transcribed as Auville. but I am mostly basing it on the fact that I don't believe Daniel Orville existed and Daniel Abel is missing from 1830. And he bout property there 4 years before. The census doesn't have names. It only has numbers so I made a chart. The children don't quite work out but the adults are right on - is that Lewis Auvil? I don't know I think he is on the Randolph census for 1830. It is possible he was moving around and got caught on two census forms.

Let me know what you think.



1830 Census Daniel OrvilleDaniel Abel's family in 1830
2 males 5-10 years oldWilliam 4, Elias 6
2 males 10-15 years oldJohn 10, George 11, Daniel 13
1 male 20-30Lewis Auvil 27, from 1st marriage?
1 male 50-60Daniel - 49
2 females under 5Katie 4, Lydia 2, Harriet 1
1 female 40-50Susan - 41








2 comments:

  1. The Auvils are unlikely Abels. One doesn't go from a simple name to a complex name. It doesn't make sense. My paternal grandmother is among the progeny of Frances Melvina "Fannie" Auvil, daughter of William Cox Auvil and Loretta Isabel White. Although widower Howard Ellsworth Beavers is shown as father to Virginia Melissa "Ginnie" Beavers's birth certificate, it's by legal adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please see this blog post https://deeauvilstockphotographer.blogspot.com/2014/07/johannes-abel-daniel-abel-susan.html

    ReplyDelete